Ambridge is a community steeped in history, traditionalism and ethnic pride. Within its boundries are a wealth of attractions. One of these sights is the Laughlin Memorial Library; this historical building is located adjacent to the Ambridge-Aliquippa bridge. The library was a gift to the citizens of Ambridge by the Laughlin family of Sewickley. The Italian Architectural influence of the design of the building adds an interesting touch of flavor to the strong ethnic character of Ambridge.
Of historical interest also is the Old Economy Village which was the third and final home of the Harmony Society, established in 1824. The Harmonites came to “the promised land” from Germany seeking religious freedom. On a 3,000 acre tract of land, the Society established a large manufacturing center. For a time this was the leading industrial community in the West. The Society was dissolved in 1905. Old Economy Village is a national historic landmark administered by the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
The history of Ambridge is very closely woven with that of Old Economy and other surrounding areas. Land owned by the Harmony Society originally included Logstown and Legionville. Logstown was the site of an ancient Indian village of great importance in early colonial affairs. It was the Indian metropolis of a large region. In August, 1749 Logstown had fifty cabins which were inhabited by Mohawks, Senecas, Oneidas, Delawares, Shawnees, and Wyandots.
Legionville came to prominence during the winter of 1792-1793 when General Anthony Wayne trained “the Legion of the United States.” This was probably the first training under the new Federal government. At Legionville he raised the first flag of the United States of America.
Committees have been organized to consider the reconstruction of these two sites as future tourist attractions.
However, Ambridge became a borough in its own right in 1902-03, when the Harmony Society sold more than 2500 acres as a site for a Bridge Building Plant and town. It was shortly thereafter named Ambridge, taking its name from the American Bridge Company, the first big industry.
The American Bridge Company was built nearly midway between Economy and Fair Oaks in 1903-04 on 105 acres of land. Fourteen principal structures were erected on a strip of land almost one mile long that was reserved for the works.
In May, 1905, the Borough of Ambridge was incorporated, formed from the communities of Economy and Ambridge.
The Laughlin Memorial Library was donated to Ambridge by Alexander Laughlin, whose company, Central Tube, was formed in 1902.
Originally established around an industrial base, Ambridge has become widely diversified through historical development and recreational facilities as well as a large number of shopping and professional services. The Ambridge area has numerous multi-tenant industrial park sites available for new or expanding companies. These sites which are also accessible by both rail and river will be able to serve any type of manufacturing or distribution operation. The Pittsburgh International Airport is only 15 minutes away and we are approximately 20 miles from downtown Pittsburgh. Interstate 79 and Route 65 provide easy access to any of these sites.
Not strictly an all work town, Ambridge is dotted with a number of parks located in town for convenience and in the suburbs for the open country appeal. Ambridge has something for everyone.
We invite you to take a closer look at us – Ambridge, Pennsylvania.